Crispy Cauliflower Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
This started as a riff on chicken Marsala and ended up being its own delicious beast! The cauliflower is baked not fried and I️ use a convenient cheat for the gravy. It’s not the fastest recipe but it’s super tasty and easy!
Cauliflower cut into 1 inch steaks
Grape seed or avocado oil
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 pkg vegan mushroom gravy
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Lightly coat cauliflower with oil (I️ like to use the sprays that don’t have propellents) and lightly salt both sides.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 min or until a very pale brown.
- After the first bake use tongs to coat in garbanzo bean flour, lightly salt and return to the baking sheet. (You can also give the tops a quick spray of oil if you want it extra crispy) Bake for another 20 min, flipping halfway through.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven sauté the mushrooms and onions in a large pan. (It is best to put a little oil in the bottom of the pan, spread them all out and the just let them sit for a few minutes. Repeating this process every 3-4 min so they get nicely caramelized)
- Add in the mushroom gravy and stir until deep brown and well combined. You may need a little salt and pepper
- Serve the gravy over the cauliflower steaks and enjoy!